Managing 12-13 Year Olds in Class
Children this age still have a fear of failure and social differences. However, they also have improved memory, decision making, and problem solving skills. They grow at different speeds and thus, managing class can be complicated.
To Manage Class:
- You Must Earn Their Trust!
- Look them in the eye when speaking
- Listen to them and be empathetic
- Follow through on promises
- Draw Clear Lines – communicate your expectations clearly
- Reciprocate Respect
- Teach communication
- Make sure they are having fun
- Celebrate the little things
- Be Honest!
Remember that your goal is to make a difference in their lives, not win the national championship.